Dragon NaturallySpeaking v13 and Beyond
For all of the versions/editions of Dragon speech recognition software listed below, the procedure for adding a new source has changed. So, if you’re having trouble using a new microphone with your profile, we’re going to show you what to do.
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium v13
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional/Legal v13
- Dragon Professional Enterprise v13.5
- Dragon Professional/Legal Individual v14
- Dragon Professional/Legal Group v14
The procedure for adding a source first changed in Dragon NaturallySpeaking v13. If you’re not sure which version you have, you can find out here. Also note that these instructions are for Dragon for Windows only.
What Sources Do I Have?
In Dragon, a source is any valid method for feeding the application speech audio. When you first set up your profile, you were required to add a microphone source, so you should have at least one in your list already.
To find this information:
- Go to the DragonBar and click the [Profile] button. If the DragonBar is collapsed, hover over it to expand it.
- Click on “Manage Dictation Sources.”
- A new window will open with all of your currently available sources.
Adding a New Microphone
Great—you found your current source(s). But, now you need to add a different microphone. It’s pretty simple.
- If you closed the “Manage Dictation Sources” window, repeat steps 1-3 above.
- From here, click the [Add New Dictation Source] button.
- Another window will open, listing any new sources available. If you haven’t plugged in your USB microphone, you won’t see anything in the top panel.
- Plug in your new USB microphone and let the drivers load.
- Once it’s recognized by Windows, you will see the microphone listed as a newly available source. Highlight it and click [Next].
- You’ll be prompted to do a mic check. Click [Next].
- The next window provides some text for you to read through. Click the [Start] button and read the text. Do not press any buttons on your microphone.
- When you get the “Complete” message, stop reading and click [Next].
- Your profile will update.
- When it’s done, click [Finish].
- Your new microphone will now open in Dragon, and has been added to your available sources.
Switching Between Microphones
If you need to choose one microphone or the other:
- Open the “Manage Dictation Sources” window.
- Select the mic you want use and click [Select].
Your chosen microphone will take a few seconds to load. Then you’re ready to go. To remove a microphone source, follow these steps.