What Is µg?
Mu (µ) is a Greek letter that means “micro” when used in measurement abbreviations. When used in the form µg, you get “micrograms.” In the Dragon Medical software, whenever you dictate a number and then the word “micrograms,” you’re going to get this abbreviation by default.
We’ve had several requests from physicians to disable this, so we wanted to share the steps to eliminate the usage of this abbreviation. While it’s simple to accomplish, the location for this setting isn’t all that obvious.
How to Disable the µg Abbreviation
- Open Dragon Medical.
- On the DragonBar, go to Vocabulary > Open Vocabulary Editor
- When the Vocabulary Editor window pops up, click into the “Written form” field.
- Type in the word “micrograms.”
- When it comes up, click the [Properties] button in the bottom right-hand of the window.
- When the “Word Properties” window opens, find the section labelled “Alternate form 1.”
- Uncheck the box next to “Use alternate written form 1.” Click [OK].
- Test it out.
- Repeat these steps for “microgram” (singular), so that if you need to say “1 microgram,” you’re covered.